Info for Adjudicators ’19
The Chief Adjudicators’ Panel
For the Heart of Europe Debating Tournament 2019, the Organising Committee has appointed
Ms Laura Krawczyk (Poland) as the Head of the Chief Adjudicators’ Panel (CAP).
The other members of the CAP can be found here.
If possible, we would like to have 3 Adjudicators for each preliminary debate, made up of Adjudicators from the following categories:
- CATEGORY 0 – Those with little or no debating experience, but who are familiar with the WS format, its rules and possess knowledge of at least the very basic principles of argumentation, logic, as well as analytical and critical thinking.
- CATEGORY 1 – Former debaters with at least 2 years of debating experience, who have now been working or doing further studies for at least 1 year but otherwise have had little to no adjudicating experience.
- CATEGORY 2 – Those with some experience of adjudicating.
- CATEGORY 3 – Adjudicators with at least 2 years of experience in adjudicating.
- CATEGORY 4 – Very experienced Adjudicators, especially having had adjudicated at the WSDC.
Please do note that nominating Adjudicators of categories 0 or 1 – especially 0 – should be only the last resort when you can’t fulfill the n+1 rule (number of Adjudicators required in order to register = number of teams you are bringing +1).
We strongly encourage independent adjudicators to apply!
On the first day in Olomouc (11th July), there will be an Adjudicators’ training conducted by the CAP. Attendance to this session is compulsory for all Adjudicators. Prior to that day, you will be expected to have read the rules and guidelines for debate (please see below). You will not be taken exhaustively through those rules. You will have to have read them by then. There will be a short test at the end of the Adjudicators’ lecture to inform the CAP – and you – as to which particular parts of the rules and guidelines you will need to work on.
Please keep in mind that the CAP is always on hand to help you in case of any questions or potential issues. We will be working closely with new Adjudicators, therefore please reach out to us during the Tournament!
Related tournament documents
Documents for Adjudicators